Today, we have an interview with an amazing makeup artist, @sarinanexie !!!!!!!
If you have seen her work, you know exactly why we fell in love with her work!!!! She is so detailed and makes amazing looks!!!
We wanted to bring one of those looks alive and when we asked to collaborate, she was so supportive and sweet!! Below is the makeup look we animated (Check out our Instagram page for actual animations):
Below is our awesome interview!:
1. What is your Instagram account for your make up looks? Do you have any other social media accounts for it?
My Instagram account is @sarinanexie which is the same as my Twitter, and my YouTube channel is Sarina Nexie.
2. When did you start playing with make up?
I think I started when I was about 9 years old!
I was terrible at it, but I really enjoyed the artistry of it so I kept doing it.
3. Who influenced you in the make up world? Was it someone close to you? A famous person?
That’s a tough question! A lot of people, really.
Before Instagram, I would binge watch YouTube videos. At that time Michelle Phan was the largest beauty Youtuber, so I learned a lot from her.
The creative makeup I do now is more inspired by a ton of different artists here on Instagram.
4. Do you do any other forms of art that influenced your make up looks?
Yes, I use a lot of mediums to create art actually.
I’ve been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil.
Lately, I’ve been creating things using clay, plastic and other things.
It’s like therapy for me, really.
5. What style of make up looks did you start with? Is it the same today? If it has changed, why do you think that is?
It started with more glam-type looks here on Instagram.
I had been wanting to try out more creative looks for a long time, but never felt good enough so I didn’t dare.
Then, I entered the Nordic Face Awards contest hosted by NYX Professional makeup, which really helped me challenge myself and fall in love with creative makeup.
6. When did you decide to post your make up looks online? Were you nervous? Excited?
I decided to start when I was in makeup school to build my portfolio. It was a bit nerve wrecking but, at the time, I literally had 0 followers, so I posted more for myself than anything.
I think that helped with the nerves!
7. How long does it normally take you to do a make up look for you social media account?
How long a look takes me to do really depends on the look.
It’s usually at least 2 hours, but I can work on it for up to 15 hours if the look is complicated.
I would say the average would be about 5-7 hours though!
8. What is your favorite make-up look that you have done and why?
I don’t actually think I have a favorite if I’m being honest! I’m always hyper critical of my own work, so I try to avoid looking at it too much.
But if I had to choose, it would be my newest sunflower look I think.
9. Do you create make up tutorials? What has that process been like for you?
Yes, I do! It has been a bit on and off because I’ve had so much to do, but this fall I’m going to focus more on platforms like YouTube, and make more videos for Instagram.
The hardest part about the process has been the technical bits I think! Figuring out the camera, and editing the footage can be really hard.
10. What has you experience been like posting your make up looks online?
Posting my looks online has been overwhelmingly positive!
I’m super lucky to have such a supportive following. Everyone is always super sweet, and that makes me feel so much more safe and comfortable on the platforms I use.
11. Do you have any advice for aspiring make up artists who are thinking about posting their make up looks online?
The best advise I have for anyone who wants to post their makeup looks online is to just do it!
Don’t doubt yourself or your skills. Everyone starts somewhere.
Most of all, never compare your art or growth to anyone else. This is your journey, and yours alone, and the steps you take are unique to you!
Enjoy the ride and never doubt yourself.