Welcome back to another ‘Meet the Artist’ interview!
Today, we have the honor of interviewing an amazing artist, @weimun_draws (Instagram)!
Our first collaboration with @weimun_draws was having the opportunity to animate this piece! (To see the animation and others, please go to our Instagram):
We are so excited to bring this interview to our readers! We hope you enjoy it as much we did and that their story inspires you!
Below is our interview:
- What is your IG account?
My IG account, @weimun_draws was initially a place I could record the progress of my art, but now it is also a place for me to showcase and connect with other artists!
This is my only social media account for my art.
- What was the first art piece that you remember impacted you and inspired you to make art?
My first art inspiration was actually not an art piece per say, but a Pixar film: Finding Nemo.
I was only a child back then, but the art and colors impacted me so much to start drawing!
- When did you realize that you enjoyed making art or when did you start making art?
I enjoyed and started making art at about 4-5 years old.
- What style of art did you start off with and is it the same today? What else have you tried? What are your favorite styles of art?
My style changes so much that, sometimes, I feel that it’s a problem. I feel people may not be able to recognize my art since I can’t really find a style that I always go back to.
Currently, it’s more semi-realistic manga like art.
In the past, I wanted to try realistic portraits, but it wasn’t as fun for me compared to semi-realistic.
- Which is your favorite art piece you have made and why?
My favorite art piece is the “Infected” piece because I was in a dark place with my studies in Architecture at the university. I was so overwhelmed with the workload that I felt that my entire life was consumed by architecture, but the art piece helped me have some personal time to myself and heal.
- When did you decide to start a social media account for your art? Were you nervous? Excited?
I think I started it in 2017, when my sister convinced my to open an account to share my art and to keep track of my progress.
I was super nervous!
- How has your experience been with your social media account(s) for your art? What are the positive outcomes? Is there any negative outcomes?
I absolutely love sharing my art on Instagram!
I have learned so much and grown so much with my art… way more than when I was just drawing by myself.
I discover so many artists that inspire me daily, so that’s definitely the plus side!
But there is a negative outcome where, sometimes, I feel pressured to post often and it’s hard to balance it with the university.
And often, I tie how good my art is with the number of likes (I know it’s wrong but I can’t help to feel that way).
- What advice would you give any artist out there who are considering sharing their art on social media?
Go for it!
Your art, regardless of style and skill level, deserves to be shown to the world!
Don’t get caught up in the numbers, but look forward to the engagement and artistic growth that comes with sharing your work!
Draw what you feel like drawing, not what you think the audience would like to see more of. It can become draining over time when you are stuck drawing only one type of art that you like.
Be sincere with your work and always be sincere when engaging with other artists.