Welcome back everyone to our ‘Meet the Artist’ series!
Today, we have an interview with an amazing artist, @irbeus !
We first had the opportunity to animate this amazing piece below (for the actual animation, check out our Instagram page):
We hope you enjoy this fun interview!
1. What is your Instagram account? Do you have any other social media accounts for your art?
My Instagram is @irbeus. I also use Deviantart and my username is the same there.
2. What was the first art piece that you remember impacted you and inspired you to make art?
I can’t really remember any particular artwork that inspired me during my childhood or even teenage years.
It was much later that I discovered the artwork of Frank Frazetta and that really impacted me and pushed me to want to be better as an artist. I already liked drawing warriors and discovering the way Frazetta painted them was mind blowing!
3. When do you realize you enjoyed making art or when did you start making art?
I’ve been drawing ever since I can remember, but it was when I was like 6 or 7 years old that somehow felt that I was good at it.
4. What style of art did you start off with and is it the same today? What else have you tried? What are your favorite styles of art?
I’ve always tried a realistic approach to art and still do.
Some years ago, I tried some kind of colorful psychedelic style, but most of the things I did that way are lost in art school. Sometimes this style is still a bit visible in my newer stuff though. My favorites styles of art are mainly baroque painting and 19th century academicism, among others… many others!
5. What is your process like making a new art piece?
It changes a lot and it depends on the piece. Many of times, I make some sketches, forget about them for months and, then, rediscover and transfer them to a canvas. Then, I start coloring with oils over a black lineart. Other times, I just start applying a background color on the canvas and start painting some blurry shapes over it and detailing more and more over time.
6. Which is your favorite art piece you have made and why?
No doubt it’s “Skiamachy”, it’s a very personal piece full of symbolism and people seem to like very much the aesthetic of this piece.
7. When did you decide to start a social media account for your art? Were you nervous? Excited?
I started on Deviantart 11 years ago, but I can’t remember my feelings then.
I made my Instagram account about 3 years ago. Maybe I was a bit excited seeing how popular the app was getting, but my thoughts were that I had to start there if I wanted to reach more people.
8. How has your experience been with your social media account(s) for your art? What are the positive outcomes? Is there any negative outcomes?
For the negative things, I’d say that it’s difficult to reach many people if you don’t have a very specific kind of posts.
For the positive things, I’d say that it’s very nice reading some comments and having the support of many people that I don’t even know and who really enjoy my stuff. That’s just awesome!
9. What advice would you give any artist out there who are considering sharing their art on social media?
If you like what you do, post it!
And keep posts consistent.