Welcome back to our Meet the Artist series!
Today, we have an interview with an amazing artist, @yano.brk (Instagram) !!!
We had the honor of adding animation to this amazing piece and it was actually our first!
Check out our interview:
1. What is your IG account? Do you have any other social media accounts for your art?
2. What was the first art piece that you remember impacted you and inspired you to make art?
Honestly, it was a collection of various digital artists from a while back that really impacted me to start working on my digital skills, especially when I started watching the anime “Jojos Bizarre Adventure.” I loved the show so much not only because of its amazing characters and art style, but also because it makes me me want to improve in my art skills.
3. When did you realize you enjoyed making art or when did you start making art?
Well, of course, I’ve been doodling silly little drawings ever since I was young, but I really started digital art in like 2016. But, the real improvement I think started at the beginning of 2019 where I started to constantly worked hard to improve my style.
4. What style of art did you start off with and is it the same today? What else have you tried? What are your favorite styles of art?
I’ve tried many styles in the past, traditional with painting and pencil work. I’ve found and really honed my craft with digital art where I’ve now found a semi-realistic, semi-cartoonist/anime style of art that I’ve made my own. I’m pretty confident and happy with it now.
5. What is your process like making a new art piece?
Well, I usually start by gathering some references for poses/character sheets, etc. Also, I highly recommend references to improve on perspectives and develop on specific characters.
I usually start off with a sketch from which I try to make as neat as possible… that’s the OCD in me *laughs*
Then, I go over the sketch in a neat and “thickish” dark line and finally color in the piece. If needed, I’ll add some little white highlights and some small shading, if needed.
6. Which is your favorite art piece you have made and why?
My favorite art piece would probably be my recent works, such as these:
I really love how the colors came out in these ones and the perspective of the characters overall is really effective I feel.
7. When did you decide to start a social media account for your art? Were you nervous? Excited?
I started uploading various and rather bad artworks back in 2016, but I think they’re long gone now. At first I was nervous, I was new to the platform and didn’t really have a fandom or style to really be confident with. But now, I feel happy and excited releasing new artworks to people who love to see what I create. It really makes me happy that people now are seeing my work and are enjoying it.
8. How has your experience been with your social media account(s) for your art? What are the positive outcomes? Is there any negative outcomes?
Overall, my experience with my art accounts on social media has been surprisingly very positive. Honestly, I couldn’t ask any more from the people who view my art as they are always so helpful and kind and supportive to myself and my art… and that, honestly, makes me so happy. I’m grateful to everyone for the support!
9. What advice would you give any artist out there who are considering sharing their art on social media?
For advice, I’d definitely recommend putting your art forward. It may seem very daunting and scary, at first. But, trust me, if you keep working at it and improving, even little by little, you’ll do great! Even if it starts off slow, you’ll be doing amazing even by putting your art out there and pushing back on the negative thoughts. If you don’t feel confident, take a break, take some time to re-evaluate, and consider your approach/ style, but either way you’ll be doing great!!
Entertainment with a Social Justice Twist!